Firm Partner David Alan Ast has more than 30 years of experience helping people throughout northern New Jersey get a fresh start and move forward with their financial lives. He is committed to protecting the rights of his clients seeking debt relief.
After attending Rutgers State University in New Brunswick, Attorney Ast earned his Juris Doctor from Cornell Law School in 1972. He served as a trial attorney with the Civil Division of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) for three years before focusing his practice exclusively on bankruptcy law. At Ast & Schmidt, P.C., he handles cases involving a wide variety of bankruptcy issues, including debt collections, debtor/creditors’ rights, and foreclosure defense.
Attorney Ast is currently licensed to practice in New Jersey, New York, the U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court. He is also a member of several professional associations and regularly delivers lectures and presentations to other attorneys and financial professionals about bankruptcy law.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA)
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- New Jersey State Bar Association; Bankruptcy Law Section
- Morris County Bar Association; former Chairman of the Bankruptcy Law Committee and former Trustee
Morris County Bar Association:
- Bankruptcy — Nuts and Bolts of Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
- Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1994
- Bankruptcy Aspects of Divorce, Fundamental of Consumer Bankruptcy
- Ask-a-Lawyer Series: Bankruptcy
New Jersey State Bar Association:
- Bankruptcy Considerations for Security Interests in Intellectual Property Rights
- Bankruptcy Considerations for People with HIV/AIDS
New Jersey Association of Public Accountants — Morris, Sussex, and Warren Chapter:
- The Accountant's Role in Bankruptcy
Financial Planning Association of New Jersey:
- Is your client considering personal or corporate bankruptcy?